Menu for Hope 5: raffle highlights and a bit about Lesotho, Africa
2 Comments Karen HamiltonDecember 22, 2008
The last few work days before Christmas always find me restless; sitting in front of my computer is the last thing I want to do. If this happens to you too, and you’re currently at my site looking for a distraction, prepare yourselves for at least a 15-minute block of foodie clickety-click.
First and foremost, let me give you a few links to give you a better idea what Menu for Hope funds go towards:
- An overview of the School Feeding initiative run by the World Food Programme (United Nations)
- What the World Food Program and Menu for Hope did for Lesotho in 2007 and 2008 (Chez Pim)
- Photos taken in Fall 2008 by the children of White Hill Primary School, a beneficiary school in Lesotho (Chez Pim)
- US votes against “right to food” in UN General Assembly [they were the only ones to do so...] (Daily Kos)
I spent the latter part of the weekend drooling through all the great Menu for Hope prizes that would be able to get shipped to a Vancouverite’s door. Here’s a sampling of the ones that caught my attention – you may find yourself competing with me for some of these prizes!
Prizes marked with an asterisk* are things that Vancouverites can vie for, but you may need to factor in additional travel expenses (or forgo the local component of the prize package) before you decide to go for it.
EU11 – Chocolate & Zucchini: A set of Flip & Tumble reuseable tote bags
EU28 – Foodie Froggy: A Short Guide to Foodie French
UE29 – Andrea’s Recipes: Paella Kit
UW05 – David Lebovitz: Cuisinart ICE-50 ice cream maker
UW09* – BlogHer: BlogHer 2009 Conference Pass
UW10 – Kalyn’s Kitchen: Set of Lowel EGO Photo Lights
UW11* – Lunch in a Box: Hello Kitty bento box set
WB11 – Aficionado: The Flavors of Napa and Sonoma
WB01* – Meadowood Resort: A Wine Vacation at Meadowood Resort in the Napa Valley
If none of these appeal to you, you could take a tour of the rest of the prizes on offer:
- The Vancouver-centric Tiny Bites prize worth $600 </end plug>
- Canada Prizes, hosted by Meena at Hooked on Heat
- Europe Prizes, hosted by Sara at Ms. Adventures in Italy
- US. East Coast Prizes, hosted by Jaden at Steamy Kitchen
- US West Coast Prizes, hosted by Matt at MattBites
- Asia Pacific, Australia, and New Zealand Prizes, hosted by Ed at Tomato
- Wine Prizes, hosted by Alder at Vinography
Remember that you only have until the end of Wednesday, December 24th to donate and put yourself into the raffle draws of your choice!